Cam & Lever Tailstock – WM250

Lever & Cam Tailstock

This is a modification I should have made years ago. At long last I have relegated the spanner to the drawer with it’s companions.

I have detailed how to modify the lathe tailstock to get rid of the old nut and bolt and replace it with a lever and cam – much better. This mod involves milling a pocket and drilling holes in the tailstock, so probably not something to do if the lathe is still under warranty. Of course lucky owners of the latest model WM250 already have this as standard. I have included some drawings which of are based on my lathe but could be easily adapted to other similar Chinese lathes, probably even the multitude of mini-lathes out there.

Lever Tailstock Construction Page


  1. Written By: John In July 2014

    Your tailstock camlock looks a great design.I had already made one similar to “Gadget Builders” design but it looks untidy and the cam is not a smooth action so I’ve started making your type. I will cover the recess with a plate where the nut was to neaten it all up. I’ve already made your saddle lock fitted a QCTP with the 4 bolt clamp and they work very well. Keep up the good work.

    • Written By: Journeyman In July 2014

      Thanks, I have been using it regularly and it works well. So much easier than the spanner. I havn't fitted a Nyloc nut yet but it shows no sign of working loose as I feared it might.

  2. Written By: John In August 2014

    Got the camlock finished and been using it for a couple of weeks.Works really well and so smooth. Can drill big holes without the tailstock slipping back as with the first mod I did. Was worried that a 1mm offset on the cam wouldn’t be enough,but its fine. Thanks for a great design,keep the coming….

Comments are closed.